I give 2 for who ever created the "Vegetable Relish" - my two boys hate their vegetables (minus corn), but last night I made the relish and they cleared the plate.... w00t w00t.
Here are PICS from the mishap I had while making the Relish.... it was so funny I just had to share - see what happens when you leave the cover off and forget to remove your mixing spoon.
Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish
[Re: ]
#306992 06/06/0701:16 AM06/06/0701:16 AM
Oh BTW - when I went to make some toast this morning - the smoke signals went up from some Vegetable Relish that got into my toaster from the mishap the night before.... now that was funny (and smelled real bad) - lol.
Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish
[Re: ]
#306995 06/06/0701:18 AM06/06/0701:18 AM
ewww but funny (I've done the same thing!) Jackandsally (Nancy) posted the veggie and fruit relish recipes on the midwestgliderweb. I'm not sure if she came up with them or if she got them elsewhere.
Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish
[Re: ]
#307007 06/06/0701:37 AM06/06/0701:37 AM
Rhapsody, that MUST be why my smoke alarm went off for no reason this morning. It was all your fault! I definitely need to try that recipe tho. Where did you get it?
Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish
[Re: ]
#307014 06/06/0701:55 AM06/06/0701:55 AM
From here..... one of the members gave it to me for I had posted about picky to non vegetable eater.
VEGETABLE RELISH:
1 - 32 ounce bag of mixed vegetables, defrosted (green beans, sweetcorn, carrots and peas)
4 - fluid ounces of white grape juice
4 - table spoons of honey
Put half of everything into blender and blend until consistency of relish, do same with other half and mix together. Freeze in ice cube trays and give 1 cube per glider.
Hi, I came up with a veggie relish & a fruit smoothie recipe about 6 years ago and that's the only way I could get my gliders to eat all their vegetables and they love their fruit smoothie... That's so funny because you did exactly what I did when I first started making up the veggie relish..... I was in a hurry to add the juice and honey and get everything mixed up to see if the babies like it or not, I forgot to put the lid on and relish went everywhere.....hehehe.... I don't know if you are making the same recipe that I created. But I know mine love their veggie's now and they eat all of them......
I don't know if you are making the same recipe that I created. But I know mine love their veggie's now and they eat all of them......
Anita
That's my recipe.....hehehe....
KEWL!! - it is good to meet the maker of the Relish.... and Thanks a Million.
I altered mine just a little bit.... for I forgot to buy Grape Juice (and) with all the talk about grapes not being good for our little one I was weary about using it.
My Version of VEGETABLE RELISH:
1 - 32 oz mixed vegetables, defrosted (1 cup corn, 2 cup Peas, 1 cup cooked carrots)
1 - 4 oz Gerber Fruit Juice w/ Yogurt. (w/ added Apple Juice 1/4 cup) - to help w/ thickness
4 - TBSP Honey
* * * * * * * * * * * * * *
I used the vegetables I listed above for I had already purchased 32 oz bags of each of them individually for feeding to my two SG on vegetable nights, but I think I will get the bag of mixed vegetables next time - when my supply runs out.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Would YOU be so kind as to share your Fruit SMoothie.... I would love to try it out on my SG.
Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish
[Re: ]
#307028 06/06/0702:23 AM06/06/0702:23 AM
That sounds good. I am glad you & your babies like it. You can also change it up by adding different kinds of juices: Like CranCherry, CranGrape, baby food mixed fruit or banana with yogurt juice. plus more... I even changed out and did less honey so that the babies weren't getting to much honey will the BML and the veggie relish mix together.....The white grape juice is ok to use . Like I said I have been doing this recipe for around 6 years and haven't had any problems... With God on mine & my babies sides, everyone of my joey and adult gliders are and have been healthy. But I know everyone wants to be cautious. That's fine..... (oh and you can change up the mixed veggie too, just be careful on getting the mixed veggie's with lima beans in them.)
Hi Rhapsody, It's very nice to meet you too. Yes I do have 50 + gliders, which are all my babies and work a full time job, that's another reason I came up with the veggie relish recipe because you can make it up and put it in the ice cube trays like the BML recipe. A simple and easy fix for everynight feeding for multiple gliders. Thank you signing my guestbook and posting a link to my site on your personal SG website. Sometime you'll have to try out my fruit smoothie recipes.
Fruit Smoothie: 5-6 pound bag of mixed fruit, 4 oz baby white grapefruit juice(or almost any other juices) 2-4 tablespoons of honey, 1/2 cup of Dannon French Vanilla Yogurt
Just defrost your bag of fruit & drain the juice, if they are frozen and then place in blender & blend until smooth. Pour into ice cube trays and then serve 1/2 cube to 1 cube per night per a single to a pair of gliders.
Let me know how your babies like it.
Anita
(now remember I am serving over 50 gliders with this recipe)
Anita, I've always wondered who came up with these recipes and now I know! Thank you so much for sharing them with us. I have been using them for a couple of years now and my gliders LOVE them!!! Especially the fruit smoothie
Question? Does it bother the gliders not to have stuff to pick up to eat? If they are eating the fruit smoothie and veggie relish plus a mix like BML - does it hurt their teeth only having soft food? Or do you alternate? Thinking of trying these because they only want their staple food plus corn.
Molly, son & husband:
Chairman Meow Oscar & Thomas Sam, Diego, Delilah, Delia Nevada, Noel Marcel, Dakota, Latte Dexter, Didi, Almond, Joy and Fitz Karl,Lenny,Jynxie,Chamille, Kee & Mr. Beans in my heart forever. Teaching teenagers-part joy, part guerilla warfare!
Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish
[Re: Mel2mdl]
#307124 06/06/0709:55 AM06/06/0709:55 AM
Since the fruit has different ingredients than are used by the bml diet can you still do that and not throw anything off..also the veggie relish is it ok for bml users adding the extra honey and juice???
Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish
[Re: morksmom]
#307146 06/06/0711:02 AM06/06/0711:02 AM
I would like to know about the ratios with the BML, too.
Mine are SO darn picky! They will eat the BML (I use Judie's) and they will eat peas and corn. That's it! They don't really like any fruit. They don't eat greenbeans or carrots. They will eat spinach, but I don't want to give them that every night!
So - will this fruit and veggie smoothie thing throw off the ratios for BML. Should I mix the BML differently to make up for it? Where's Bourbon when you need her!!??
Alden "Animals can communicate quite well. And they do. And generally speaking, they are ignored." Alice Walker
Mom to Valhalla; 6 cats; 1 macaw; 2 hedgehogs; and very many great gliders!
(plus the 2 skin kids) valkyriegliders.com
Kyrie, nothing will ever fill the hole you left in my heart.
val i use the bml diet and i use the smoothie and am doing the relish tonight but from what i gather it dosent throw any thing off because you are not using that much honey and you can put friut juice in the water to get them th drink it. with doing the smoothie and relish i just dont use honey for klickey treats
For vegetable relish, do you give them a cube, then fruit?? I don't get it. Or do you feed them that one night, then fruit the next??
After you make up the Vegetable Relish you place it in the ice trays just like you do the BML and then freeze them..... 1 cube per 2 SG (2 tbsp per cube).
And YES, it is vegetable cube one night and then fruits the next night, but not on the same night.
Question? Does it bother the gliders not to have stuff to pick up to eat? If they are eating the fruit smoothie and veggie relish plus a mix like BML - does it hurt their teeth only having soft food? Or do you alternate? Thinking of trying these because they only want their staple food plus corn.
Well, in the wild I would say most of their food is soft, minus the cricket, worms and other bugs they eat.... and it you do the vegetable relish right they will have the skins to pick thru and drop.
I personally only use the vegetable relish, for like your SG mine too would only eat the corn - I feed all fruits chopped up, but I will try the fruit smoothies from time to time (more as a treat).
I have to feed mine either or - but not both - other wise they NEVER touch their vegetables..... if I was to feed both the relish the fruit on the same night they would never eat their BML.
Rhapsody, Do you feed bml if so dont they get fruit and veggies each night?
But YOU are right this what is says about feeding the BML Diet
The rule of thumb per glider:
1 TBSP BML 1 TBSP Fruit 1 TBSP Vegetaables Insects (feed in the morning)
IF they DON'T eat it all just back off on every thing... offer only half of the recommended amounts and only a few pieces of veggies - - - If they are eating 3/4 of a tablespoon each then they are doing good.
I'm gonna try the veggie relish tonight, if I can get it made. They are still eating fruit, but I might try the smoothie too - sounds good, maybe I'll give it to my nonfur child.
Molly, son & husband:
Chairman Meow Oscar & Thomas Sam, Diego, Delilah, Delia Nevada, Noel Marcel, Dakota, Latte Dexter, Didi, Almond, Joy and Fitz Karl,Lenny,Jynxie,Chamille, Kee & Mr. Beans in my heart forever. Teaching teenagers-part joy, part guerilla warfare!
Also, should you set the cubes out and let them "soften" a little before serving? I have always wondered if they mind having cold food.
One last question...what bag of mixed of fruits do you use for the smoothie, and if you are feeding four what size adjustment should be made?
(1) I place the ice cube in their feeding tray in the cage and it will defrost quickly... they will even nibble at it a little bit when it is still frozen.
(2) As far as the amount to use on the fruit smoothie - I would say that you will have to do some math to figure this one out - for as you can see the creator of this mix feed "50 Gliders" - Eeeek!
Thanks Rhapsody, That is correct on the measurements to the fruit smoothie and the veggie relish. they follow the same recipe as the smaller batch of veggie relish.... No, these 2 recipes do not throw off the BML balance. It has worked for me for years and my gliders are all healthy and they eat all their BML, fruit smoothie's & veggie relish every night...
Thank you guy's. I am glad to see some of you have already tried these recipes and they are working for you.
Now let's see how many more of you and your gliders like these recipes. It will be great to hear if it's working out for other people too.
Thanks! And thank you for the link. :: I have really been worried about accidentally feeding them a fruit that was bad for them so I have stuck with the few I know to be safe. This makes for a very boring fruit selection.
Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish
[Re: ]
#307992 06/07/0703:19 AM06/07/0703:19 AM
I really didn't want to make a mistake with these little girls.
I rescued them from a person who was feeding only yogurt mixed with bugs and berries powder. Twinkie is morbidly obese, and the other little girl is really picky.
Your info should help me finish straightening out their diet.
Thanks!
Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish
[Re: ]
#308005 06/07/0704:49 AM06/07/0704:49 AM
I rescued them from a person who was feeding only yogurt mixed with bugs and berries powder. Twinkie is morbidly obese, and the other little girl is really picky.
I am so sorry to hear that someone else did take good care of the girls - BUT I am excited and happy to hear that you are now given them a good home for the rest of their life.
I would love to see PICS of the girls.... here is a PIC of my boys from tent time last night.
I am pretty sure you can..... but honestly I have not made them yet (just the v-relish) - so that will have to be a question for the creator of it all - SweetGliders.
Hi, Yes you can freeze both the veggie relish and the fruit smoothie. Then once you pop out a veggie cube or a smoothie cube you will place it in the gliders dish and it usually thraws out like a slush or relish so the gliders lick it or pickup the chunks. You can puree blend either recipe, but I like to make it like the relish chop style so the gliders can use their hands to eat and Yes, to answer a few other peoples questions, they will get their BML, a Fruit smoothie cube & veggie cube everynight.
Hope I have answered everyones questions, if not keep the questions coming.
[quote=SweetGliders] (oh and you can change up the mixed veggie too, just be careful on getting the mixed veggie's with lima beans in them.)
Please clarify? Do or do not get the mixed veggie's with lima beans?? I can never find mixed veggie's combined that only have green beans, corn, peas, and carrotts. Asked my husband to get me the mixed veggie's at the store today and he bought the one with lima beans.
I want to try the veggie relish b/c lately I have noticed my baby some nights won't even touch the veggie's unless it is corn or peas.
You sometimes can find serveral different name brands of vegetables that are just the plain mixed vegetables and sometimes you can find the bags with just peas and carrots together. So then I just buy bag of corn and a bag of greens beans and mix them all together. Or if you live near a Wal-Mart they have just the peas, carrots, corn and greens beans in their brand (freezer section). Or do what Rhapsody did, make your own.....
No grapes? WHY? I have fed them to mine and they love em. Will stop until I hear if they are ok. Am going to make some of those smoothies and vegie relish.
Thanks Tosca
Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish
[Re: ]
#308935 06/08/0704:20 AM06/08/0704:20 AM
No grapes? WHY? I have fed them to mine and they love em. Will stop until I hear if they are ok.
From my understanding.... there have been some reported deaths to SG that were feed GRAPES (and other animals as well) - so many SG Owners do NOT prefer to feed them to their SG (better safe than sorry).
There are some articles on here about this problem.... maybe some one that knows where they are located will be so kind as to post a link for you to read about it.
Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish
[Re: ]
#309040 06/08/0710:02 AM06/08/0710:02 AM
Use the fruit list thats available, but change it up. Try 3-4 different fruits that your gliders already like, then add the honey & yogurt an see what your babies think. Thats how I started out. With the fruits that my babies already liked.
A lot of people feed grapes, but some feel as though they may be harmful. I think they are just being safer than sorry, but I do not personally think it is any cause for harm, since many people on here have been feeding grapes for years to their gliders and have had no problems. If you don't feel comfortable with the fact that some believ grapes could cause death in a SG, then certainly don't feed grapes. This is off-topic so I don't mean to interupt the current smoothie topic, just my 2cents.
Btw I hope to try your smoothie recipe cause my gliders don't eat squat for fruits and veggies.
Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish
[Re: nome63]
#309741 06/09/0712:37 AM06/09/0712:37 AM
I've been up all night so all this information is jumbling in my head right now! (yay for nocturnal antics with my glider!)
I feed the BML diet, Half a cube (1 tbsp) a night (plus veg and fruit) and my question is just to clarify before I do this... It IS ok to feed him a half cube of both the relish and the smoothie along with the BML every night with no missing days or alternating veggie one day fruit the next?
I was just worrying about the amount of honey/yogurt intake he was going to get overall really.
So yes this has probably been answered in this topic but as I mentioned the brain is a little mushy this morning lol... forgive me!
-Johnny Angel and his sleep deprived human Dianne
And as an FYI, my hairless rat "Buddy Love" also enjoys little tastes of the BML!!! .. as if he wasn't fat enough already!
Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish
[Re: ]
#317313 06/18/0711:23 AM06/18/0711:23 AM
with the smoothies that I make... rather than adding honey or juice, I use melon to make it smoother.... since it contains more liquid, you can use just the fruits instead of adding the extra junk and throwing the BML diet off... I do add a little juice to the relish though... But all in all, its not enough to hurt much.
Just adding my two cents! I took those recipes to my vet on one of my visits, and she recommended that I not feed them to my gliders because of the extra honey, juice, etc. She said it was too much added sugar. So if you're going to feed them at all, I wouldn't recommend feeding them every night, but that's just me (well, and my vet of course!).
When I fed BML, I made treat cubes with the BML fruits and veggies. For the veggie mix, I just blended it with applesauce, but still left it a little chunky. The applesauce helped it freeze into a cube. My guys aren't that picky on the fruits, with the exception of melons. I just blended a few melons, applesauce can be added, and freeze. I don't like the idea of all the extra honey, either. And if feeding the BML, you really shouldn't be adding all the extra stuff, anyway (yogurt, honey, or juice).
When I make the veggie cubes, I use mixed vegetables and add just a touch of V8. Just a touch, to help smooth it out. I don't want them to get too much of the tomato juice, so it ends up pretty diluted.
For the fruit cubes, I use a variety of fruits with a bit of apple juice.
I usually do this for when it's "just one of those days" or when I'm not home and my son has to do the feeding. It makes it easier on him.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOOOO HOOOO, WHAT A RIDE!!!
I took those recipes to my vet on one of my visits, and she recommended that I not feed them to my gliders because of the extra honey, juice, etc. She said it was too much added sugar.
That was kinda my thought on it, which is why i don't use any honey in either of the recipes....
For the smoothies, i just blend the fruits that are recommended for the BML. For the relish, I fill the blender about 3/4 full with veggies and one of the little 4 oz bottles of White Grape juice so that it makes the correct texture...
Well, I'm desperate! I'd risk throwing the BML diet off to get my guys to eat fruits and veggies. I mean, if all they are eating is the BML, that's not good for them either!
However, no such luck. So far, 3 nights of the fruit smoothie have been rejected by all cages. And last night, first night of veggie relish, it wasn't touched either.
I just don't know how to get them to eat something besides BML!
Alden "Animals can communicate quite well. And they do. And generally speaking, they are ignored." Alice Walker
Mom to Valhalla; 6 cats; 1 macaw; 2 hedgehogs; and very many great gliders!
(plus the 2 skin kids) valkyriegliders.com
Kyrie, nothing will ever fill the hole you left in my heart.
Well, I'm desperate! I'd risk throwing the BML diet off to get my guys to eat fruits and veggies. I mean, if all they are eating is the BML, that's not good for them either!
However, no such luck. So far, 3 nights of the fruit smoothie have been rejected by all cages. And last night, first night of veggie relish, it wasn't touched either.
I just don't know how to get them to eat something besides BML!
mine won't eat anything if i don't blend it with melon.... If i don't offer melon, they will leave the fruits there, If i offer melon, they will just eat that.... so i have to blend the melon with the other fruits to get them to eat them.
Ok great, thank you for the answers. The extra honey/yogurt was concerning me as the BML is meant to be a complete diet. I'll make the relish using applesauce and I have discovered that the fruit mix will be fine without anything at all because of the melon pieces and thier natural juices.
Thanks all =)
- Johnny Angel and his my-glider-eats-better-than-I-do human Dianne
Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish
[Re: ValkyrieMome]
#318105 06/19/0702:33 AM06/19/0702:33 AM
Well, I'm desperate! I'd risk throwing the BML diet off to get my guys to eat fruits and veggies. I mean, if all they are eating is the BML, that's not good for them either!
... I AGREE!! I AGREE!!
............ I TOTALLY AGREE!!
* * * * * * * *
Here is My Update on How the Smoothie Feeding Went.
What can I say BUT that my SG LOVED IT!!!! They ate every single bite...... Yum! Yum! ... they are now getting their Fruits as well as their Vegetables. I am Happy....
* * * * * * * * *
And while I understand that some ppl on here will not use the Smoothies or Relish in fear of it throwing the BML Ratio off............... (and I RESPECT your RIGHT to do so) I myself would rather my two SG eat the Vegetable Relish one Night and then eat the Fruit Smoothies the Night after than NOT eat any vegetables or fruits what so ever.... and that is what happens more than not when you have a picky eater as a pet.
I will try using less Honey the next time I make the Relish & Smoothies, then see how it goes from there.
* * * * * * * * *
P.S. - ValkyrieMome
How did YOU make the Relish & Smoothie? - what all did you put in it.
Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish
[Re: ]
#318110 06/19/0702:39 AM06/19/0702:39 AM
Tonight I tried making the fruit smoothie with no honey. I used baby food fruits to get the texture right - instead of the yogurt. I mixed the bag of mixed fruit with the baby food fruit. I hope they like it!
Jannie - I only have 5 gliders right now - the other 6 haven't come yet. And the 5 I have right now -- pretty much do NOT eat fruit, and only eat peas and corn for veggies.
Alden "Animals can communicate quite well. And they do. And generally speaking, they are ignored." Alice Walker
Mom to Valhalla; 6 cats; 1 macaw; 2 hedgehogs; and very many great gliders!
(plus the 2 skin kids) valkyriegliders.com
Kyrie, nothing will ever fill the hole you left in my heart.
Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish
[Re: ValkyrieMome]
#318112 06/19/0702:45 AM06/19/0702:45 AM
Here is the Recipe I used..... try making it if the one you have does not work - my two loved it and they rarely eat their fruit. ... it filled two ice trays, thats a months worth (or more).
Fruit Smoothie:
1 - 32 oz bag of Mixed Fruit * 1 - 4 oz Gerber Fruit Juice w/ Yogurt 4 - TBSP of Honey 4 oz - Dannon Vanilla Yogurt
* I used Fresh Fruit I already had in the house from the BML diet.
Rhapsody- I buy bags of mixed veggies -- but for the relish, I stick to the BML veggies. I defrost the green beans and carrots, and then blend them up with a little bit of apple juice. I try to get it "relish" consistency, not liquid. Then I stir in peas and corn, and just zap it with the blender.
For the smoothie, same thing. Except, since I feed Judie's BML, I use a bit different fruits than the regular BML. But mostly, I stick to close to the same. Then, tonight, I mixed it with baby food fruit - I added babyfood mango and papaya, and pears and applesauce. Then mixed that. So far, no one is eating it, but I think they are still on the first batch of fruit I made, with the yogurt and juice.
Alden "Animals can communicate quite well. And they do. And generally speaking, they are ignored." Alice Walker
Mom to Valhalla; 6 cats; 1 macaw; 2 hedgehogs; and very many great gliders!
(plus the 2 skin kids) valkyriegliders.com
Kyrie, nothing will ever fill the hole you left in my heart.
Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish
[Re: ValkyrieMome]
#318117 06/19/0702:55 AM06/19/0702:55 AM
Oh - My mixed fruit bag had peaches, 2 kinds of melon, pineapple, (either mango or papaya, I forget) strawberries and grapes. I took out all the grapes and some of the pineapple. I added in some blueberries at the end.
Edit: oh, and I put in Cherries instead of the grapes.
Last edited by ValkyrieMome; 06/19/0702:55 AM.
Alden "Animals can communicate quite well. And they do. And generally speaking, they are ignored." Alice Walker
Mom to Valhalla; 6 cats; 1 macaw; 2 hedgehogs; and very many great gliders!
(plus the 2 skin kids) valkyriegliders.com
Kyrie, nothing will ever fill the hole you left in my heart.
Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish
[Re: ValkyrieMome]
#318123 06/19/0703:16 AM06/19/0703:16 AM
This is why I always tell people if I am missing something to let me know... I am human and after you type out all that, I'm bound to miss even the simplest of fruits...
No such thing as a silly question! Especially when it comes to the heath & saftey or our babies
YES... they are SAFE and they are listed on the BML diet Page...... KK just missed this one, as her eyes probably started to go numb and fall alseep after typing all those other food names -
1 - 32 ounce bag of mixed vegetables, defrosted (green beans, sweetcorn, carrots and peas)
4 - fluid ounces of white grape juice
4 - table spoons of honey
Put half of everything into blender and blend until consistency of relish, do same with other half and mix together. Freeze in ice cube trays and give 1 cube per glider.
Alden "Animals can communicate quite well. And they do. And generally speaking, they are ignored." Alice Walker
Mom to Valhalla; 6 cats; 1 macaw; 2 hedgehogs; and very many great gliders!
(plus the 2 skin kids) valkyriegliders.com
Kyrie, nothing will ever fill the hole you left in my heart.
I am bumping this thread up for I have been reading a lot of post again concerning SG that will NOT eat their Fruit or Vegetables.... hoping this helps others as it has helped me and my gliders.
They clean their plate every night now - 1 ice cube feeds 2 SG.
.... you can adjust the amount of HONEY used in recipe - less can be done.
This is the only way I have been able to get my gliders to eat all their veggies, not just pick out the corn & peas. So 2 thumbs up from me too. I made the fruit smoothie too, but I just used a bag of mixed blackberries, strawberries, raspberries & blueberries, and I think its a little much on the berries. So my next mix will have a better variety.
I feed my gliders HPW diet, is there a variation of this relish I can use for my diet for the fruits AND veggies since they don't eat them at all? It needs to have the right Ca:Ph ratio with the HPW stuff I already feed them, any help?
Can you substitute apple jucie instead of white grape juice? would it make a big difference? I read this yesterday and went to Wally world today to get the stuff and I guess I didn't read to throughly because I got apple juice instead.
I've changed this around many times, and used many different substitutions.
I discovered my gliders like it best when I use my food processor not my blender. So everything is a tiny bit chunky. They also like it "drier", so I add less liquids. I vary the vegetables by using not only frozen veggies, but also vegetable baby food.
I now don't add the corn and peas when mixing, I stir them into the mix at the end so they are whole.
Alden "Animals can communicate quite well. And they do. And generally speaking, they are ignored." Alice Walker
Mom to Valhalla; 6 cats; 1 macaw; 2 hedgehogs; and very many great gliders!
(plus the 2 skin kids) valkyriegliders.com
Kyrie, nothing will ever fill the hole you left in my heart.
I took those recipes to my vet on one of my visits, and she recommended that I not feed them to my gliders because of the extra honey, juice, etc. She said it was too much added sugar.
That was kinda my thought on it, which is why i don't use any honey in either of the recipes....
I personaly just cut down on the HONEY in the BML Mix - this way I can make the Relish & Smoothie with honey with out worries - it has worked for me for two months so far.
I feed the HPW. Mine to was picking thru the fruits & veggies. I made both the relish & smoothie the other night. Last night was the second night for using both. I gave 1 ice cube of each per 2 gliders. The first night they had only a little left of the relish & smoothie. Last night they had maybe a nibble or two of each left. Should i put more in for them or leave it at 1 ice cube per the 2 gliders? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Wife to Ed Mom to 2 skin aliens 3 :dog: Atti(Attitude)(bugg) Sassie (pug)
2 :glider: Ozz (little man) and my newest baby girl KiKi.
Hi everyone, I love to read about the fruit smoothies and vege relish. I have been giving chopped fruits and vege....lots of hardwork! Should try the recipes and let you know whether my suggies love them.
Mother of 5 boys Slave of 4 gliders Parents : Sugar and Betty Joeys : Herbie and grumpy Girly
Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish
[Re: ]
#486710 02/25/0804:01 AM02/25/0804:01 AM
Mine aren't all that big on their veggies - how do you make the veggie relish? Maybe they'll like that better. Going to get the ingredients for the fruit smoothie and try that tonight.
Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish
[Re: ]
#489667 02/28/0810:35 AM02/28/0810:35 AM
Here is the recipe I have for the veggie relish.........(thanks again to whoevers it is)
Veggie Relish
1 – 32 oz bag of mixed vegetables (defrosted) Birds Eye Classic is best (take out most of the corn) NO LIMA BEANS NO SALT!
4 fluid ozs of baby white grape juice 4 tablespoons of honey
place half of everything in blender and blend completely, do same for other half and mix together, freeze in ice cube trays and give one cube per glider.
Re: 2 Thumbs Up - Vegetable Relish
[Re: ]
#489675 02/28/0810:43 AM02/28/0810:43 AM