Join Us On Facebook
|
|
|
Re: Part 2: Too Much Calcium
[Re: GliderNursery]
#842589
09/22/09 02:57 PM
09/22/09 02:57 PM
|
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 5,138 Lutz Florida
CandyOtte
Serious Glideritis
|
Serious Glideritis
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 5,138
Lutz Florida
|
Kris - I am still confused about what you will be comparing the blood testing results from 12 glider owners to. You have 12 sets of tests from 12 different environments and 12 different " diet" variations - no two owners will be balancing their chosen diet with the exact same fruits and vegetables, treats, number of mealworms if any, plain veggies & fruits or smoothies, etc. Then you have gliders of variable ages, variable prior diet history, who live in different size cages, Different climates, and have variable time for out of cage exercise experiences.... You are comparing them to a known standard? (Merck perhaps) or are you comparing them to each other? There are just too many variables in such a study to think there would be any useful data coming out. It seems to me this effort goes against all the elements of the scientific method to be useful.
Candy Otte & the Glider Kids Sassy, Corky, Mehitabel & Missy Wacco, Yacco, & Dot Mindy, Kanobles, Elmo, & Chipper http://www.gliderkids-diet.comCandyOtte@aol.com
|
|
|
Re: Part 2: Too Much Calcium
[Re: hushpuppy]
#842606
09/22/09 03:39 PM
09/22/09 03:39 PM
|
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 22,749 80 acres of paradise in KS
Dancing
Glideritis Anonymous
|
Glideritis Anonymous
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 22,749
80 acres of paradise in KS
|
Candy, how many times can it be said that this intial gathering of blood test results are NOT THE STUDY but preliminary data being gathered to show WHY there is a need for more detailed scientific studies to be done. Without showing WHY a study needs to be done, a grant will never be given. If 6 different diets from 9 different houses (and environments) show there is a HUGE difference in the blood test results, then there is a reason to further study IN DETAIL in a CONTROLLED study to try to figure out just what IS the recommended daily requirements for GLIDERS. If the results are all pretty close to each other (very small variances) then it will show that studies need to go in a different direction to determine HOW gliders are absorbing/using the calcium they are taking in. Again, this would be a study in a controlled scientific setting.
620-704-9109 Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.
I could have missed the pain But I'd of had to miss the dance
The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.
|
|
|
Re: Part 2: Too Much Calcium
[Re: CandyOtte]
#842609
09/22/09 03:42 PM
09/22/09 03:42 PM
|
BabyLoveGliders
Unregistered
|
BabyLoveGliders
Unregistered
|
Kris - I am still confused about what you will be comparing the blood testing results from 12 glider owners to. You have 12 sets of tests from 12 different environments and 12 different " diet" variations - no two owners will be balancing their chosen diet with the exact same fruits and vegetables, treats, number of mealworms if any, plain veggies & fruits or smoothies, etc. Then you have gliders of variable ages, variable prior diet history, who live in different size cages, Different climates, and have variable time for out of cage exercise experiences.... You are comparing them to a known standard? (Merck perhaps) or are you comparing them to each other? There are just too many variables in such a study to think there would be any useful data coming out. It seems to me this effort goes against all the elements of the scientific method to be useful. Candy, of course the vets will be using the standard table for where c:p ranges should be... they will be read as individuals just like YOUR vet would read about your glider... the only difference is 2 other vets will be looking at them and have in detail the food they were fed.
|
|
|
Re: Part 2: Too Much Calcium
[Re: hushpuppy]
#842610
09/22/09 03:44 PM
09/22/09 03:44 PM
|
BabyLoveGliders
Unregistered
|
BabyLoveGliders
Unregistered
|
I talked with Kris and we are cool but I think she only has 11 now. She understands the reasons I am backing out of the project. I wish you guys good luck. Thank you Anita and I totally respect you and your choices!! I love you!! We still have 12 people... I bumped someone from the waiting list! Currently the waiting list is 10 so if anyone would like to be added for any future small testings please PM me!
|
|
|
Re: Part 2: Too Much Calcium
[Re: ]
#842614
09/22/09 03:48 PM
09/22/09 03:48 PM
|
BabyLoveGliders
Unregistered
|
BabyLoveGliders
Unregistered
|
and let me say something here too.... We are looking at FOOD given NOT diets being feed... We do have people feeding the BML diet but since there are huge variations.. we are asking for very specific detailed notes ON FOOD.. like 1/2 c chicken breast, 1 egg, NOT I feed BLG's diet.
|
|
|
Re: Part 2: Too Much Calcium
[Re: ]
#842632
09/22/09 04:24 PM
09/22/09 04:24 PM
|
TWilson
Unregistered
|
TWilson
Unregistered
|
Are the gliders that are in the study given complete well visits first? Fecals (floats, smears, and snaps) urinalysis, ect., to check for preexisting conditions or parasites that may alter the blood work from being accurate?
|
|
|
Re: Part 2: Too Much Calcium
[Re: ]
#842637
09/22/09 04:38 PM
09/22/09 04:38 PM
|
BabyLoveGliders
Unregistered
|
BabyLoveGliders
Unregistered
|
Gliders being tested need to be HEALTHY have your HEALTHY gliders blood drawn
One or hopefully 2 of your HEALTHY gliders
|
|
|
Re: Part 2: Too Much Calcium
[Re: GliderNursery]
#842659
09/22/09 05:15 PM
09/22/09 05:15 PM
|
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 10,983 Denton, TX
ValkyrieMome
Glideritis Anonymous
|
Glideritis Anonymous
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 10,983
Denton, TX
|
I guess I'm confused about the confusion! Research projects have to start SOMEWHERE! I don't think that Oppenheimer said "I'm going to go into my garage and tomorrow I will have a weapon of mass destruction." It takes trial and error. And yes - when one is working with A) Living animals and B) someone's beloved pet - you really hope that there is very little error. It would be great if Kris, et al could give 100% assurances that this is going to be the be all and end all, no gliders will be harmed in any way, and the results will completely clarify glider diets and also bring about world peace. However, that's pretty unlikely. I see this as being more the first step. Hopefully, there will be many steps afterwards! Until we understand gliders at least as well as we understand dogs and cats. I guess my advice would be - if you don't like it, or need more details then can be provided - step aside. PLEASE -- NO ONE should provide ANY information that they aren't comfortable with. NO ONE should have any tests performed on their gliders that they aren't comfortable with. Whenever there is scientific breakthrough, there are people that push, and people that decide not to. Neither position makes you good or bad. So - take the side you are comfortable with, and let others take their own position.
Last edited by ValkyrieMome; 09/22/09 05:17 PM. Reason: spelling and clarification
Alden "Animals can communicate quite well. And they do. And generally speaking, they are ignored." Alice Walker
Mom to Valhalla; 6 cats; 1 macaw; 2 hedgehogs; and very many great gliders!
(plus the 2 skin kids) valkyriegliders.com
Kyrie, nothing will ever fill the hole you left in my heart.
|
|
|
Re: Part 2: Too Much Calcium
[Re: Srlb]
#842788
09/22/09 08:27 PM
09/22/09 08:27 PM
|
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 22,749 80 acres of paradise in KS
Dancing
Glideritis Anonymous
|
Glideritis Anonymous
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 22,749
80 acres of paradise in KS
|
if you dont ask a question you dont know if there is an answer to it or not. If you don't like the answers you get, it isn't doing any good to keep asking them waiting on the answers you want to hear.
620-704-9109 Judge not until you have walked in their shoes and lived their lives. What you see online is only part of the story.
I could have missed the pain But I'd of had to miss the dance
The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears.
|
|
|
Re: Part 2: Too Much Calcium
[Re: Srlb]
#842796
09/22/09 08:47 PM
09/22/09 08:47 PM
|
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 10,983 Denton, TX
ValkyrieMome
Glideritis Anonymous
|
Glideritis Anonymous
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 10,983
Denton, TX
|
I guess this whole conversation was trying to answer Trigger, right?
The answer is, as I understand it, no one knows for sure. Not enough is known. But wouldn't it be cool if we could learn more?
Alden "Animals can communicate quite well. And they do. And generally speaking, they are ignored." Alice Walker
Mom to Valhalla; 6 cats; 1 macaw; 2 hedgehogs; and very many great gliders!
(plus the 2 skin kids) valkyriegliders.com
Kyrie, nothing will ever fill the hole you left in my heart.
|
|
|
Re: Part 2: Too Much Calcium
[Re: ValkyrieMome]
#842853
09/22/09 10:38 PM
09/22/09 10:38 PM
|
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,970 Spring, Texas
Trigger
Glider Addict
|
Glider Addict
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,970
Spring, Texas
|
This has actually provided me with many answers.
Mods I know everything I need to know, this post can be closed.
»-(¯`v´¯)-»MO MONEY!»-(¯`v´¯)-»kids Chance, Dylan, John, & Kayla Skittles, Snupi, Snuki, Lucy, Shanu, Caspian, Ivy, Kalysta, Kaliya, Santee, Cheyenne, Apache, Comanche, Twirpy, Meribelle, Santeria, Shyamalan, Sebastian, Zoey, Naira & Katsu www.jensfuzzyfriends.com
|
|
|
Re: Part 2: Too Much Calcium
[Re: ]
#842873
09/22/09 11:18 PM
09/22/09 11:18 PM
|
BabyLoveGliders
Unregistered
|
BabyLoveGliders
Unregistered
|
The Glider Initiative (TGI) is conducting a research project beginning with a blind study of Ca:P ratios in Sugar Gliders. This is the first step of many that will be taking place over the next year. These preliminary blind study results, though not a necessity, will greatly assist TGI in obtaining a research grant. If the grant is approved, it will pay for all or a portion of the further research that is needed. I will ask the same questions of you: Will you be using the standard USDA info to calculate Ca:P intake or will you be researching to figure out EXACTLY what ratio is truly being taken in? ( am only asking about the simple going in ratio here, I am not dismissing the concern of others here about the actual absorption, & other vast amount of variables that will affect that,etc.) What results do you seek from THIS blind study? You state they are not necessary so is it worth the expense & risk to owners & gliders? Not asking if the owners are willing to take it. But does TGI think that this risk is warranted at this point? Jen... I am not seeking anything other than the blood results..What I would LOVE for you to do.. is help me. Lets do the figuring of food together.. I will make a chart once I receive the food items feed on what I think they are.. I'll send you the food items and you make another chart on what YOU think they are.. and we'll compare notes.. talk and figure it out together... How's that sound? Risk? I'm not sure what risks you think there are? Expense.. everyone that has contacted me and is excited to join and share are fully aware of the cost.. and actually it's not very much to have a simple ca:ph serum drawn, most if not all have yet to have blood work done ever on their gliders. They also know that some vets will sedate. I am getting permission from both my vet and another persons vet that also does not use sedation for blood drawls to speak with other vets on how they do it, if the participant is worried about sedation. Risk to the owner... not sure where you are coming form here.. can you explain?
|
|
|
Re: Part 2: Too Much Calcium
[Re: ]
#842874
09/22/09 11:19 PM
09/22/09 11:19 PM
|
BabyLoveGliders
Unregistered
|
BabyLoveGliders
Unregistered
|
Sorry just saw you requested it to be closed 
|
|
|
Re: Part 2: Too Much Calcium
[Re: ]
#843161
09/23/09 02:57 PM
09/23/09 02:57 PM
|
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 19,742 in my happy place
sugarlope
Glideritis Anonymous
|
Glideritis Anonymous
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 19,742
in my happy place
|
Closing post per original poster's request.
~Gretchen
If we never loved, then maybe we would never feel pain. Love anyway. It's worth it.
|
|
|
|
Please click above to see how you can help!!
|
|
|
1 registered members (Feather),
8,376
guests, and 1,351
spiders. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
Owner,
Admin
|
|
|
Forums132
Topics10,425
Posts159,386
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,410
| |
Most Online48,678 Jul 1st, 2026
|
|
This site was tested and is best
viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox
Download your copy today!!!
|
|
|