Join Us On Facebook
|
|
|
Breeding in GA...USDA laws??
#1373860
07/12/14 08:12 PM
07/12/14 08:12 PM
|
Joined: May 2014
Posts: 11 GA
Suzi
OP
New Member
|
OP
New Member
Joined: May 2014
Posts: 11
GA
|
So I know I am somewhat new to gliders so I do not plan on breeding now. It is just something I'm potentially looking at. Especially since I am the kind of person who likes to plan extremely ahead. I would also like to clarify that I am aware it requires a lot of time, and funds and that it is not a profitable business. For me it would be a "labor of love" I would be doing it out of my love for sugars and just animals in general. So I guess I would maybe be a hobby breeder with very few pairs (if I decided to eventually breed)... Because I like to plan ahead, I have been doing tons of research...The Georgia USDA laws are really confusing me though. From my understanding you need at least 4 breeding females...But if it is illegal to breed in GA how are you supposed to have 4 females breeding before getting a liscence? Is it possible to get your liscence if you only have four females and no males? If I just want four females as pets do I still need to have a liscence? Also, if I just wanted to have one pair and let them breed once before nueturing the male, is it possible to do that legally? Forgive me if some of my questions seem ignorant. I have been on several usda related websites and have been very confused over this matter. Again, I will clarify that I am not taking breeding lightly. Thanks! 
|
|
|
Re: Breeding in GA...USDA laws??
[Re: Suzi]
#1373861
07/12/14 08:21 PM
07/12/14 08:21 PM
|
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 20,093 North Central Ohio
GliderNursery
Tech Admn
|
Tech Admn
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 20,093
North Central Ohio
|
USDA is federal, not state (Georgia), the USDA requires you to have more than 4 breeding females. Which means you legally cannot be licensed unless you have 5. Again that is federal, so its a nationwide law. As for Georgia, you have very odd laws to contend with there. HERE is a good post about Georgia laws that may help you out.
|
|
|
Re: Breeding in GA...USDA laws??
[Re: Suzi]
#1373866
07/12/14 08:48 PM
07/12/14 08:48 PM
|
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 72 Georgia
CLo1227
Out of Pouch
|
Out of Pouch
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 72
Georgia
|
I am a USDA Licensed breeder in GA. In order to legally own a sugar glider in the state of Georgia, you must purchase it from a USDA Licensed source. With this being the case, if you breed, in order to legally sell to a person that resides in Georgia, you must be USDA Licensed. You will also need a pet dealer's license, which is obtained through the state. The minimum amount of Breeding females required to obtain a USDA License is more than 4 (so at least 5). Depending on who inspects you, they may require your females to be housed with intact males. Over the phone, the USDA will tell you that pet only females and females not in the position to breed (ie. housed with other females or with neutered males) do not count towards your total. Also, in answer to one of your questions, you Only need a license if you are or are going to breed. If you have a single pair and allow them to breed only once and then neuter, I would think that as long as you do not sell those joeys and keep them yourself, it would probably be okay. I can't imagine the state taking gliders away unless they cause harm to you or other people that requires medical attention or unless someone reports you selling gliders that are not regulated by the USDA. However, to be on the safe side, I would suggest just purchasing more if you would like to make a larger colony as opposed to breeding them without the proper mandatory licensing to do so.
|
|
|
|
Please click above to see how you can help!!
|
|
|
0 registered members (),
8,280
guests, and 1,127
spiders. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
Owner,
Admin
|
|
|
Forums132
Topics10,425
Posts159,386
posts in the last 24hrs0
Members7,410
| |
Most Online48,678 Jul 1st, 2026
|
|
This site was tested and is best
viewed in Google Chrome & Mozilla FireFox
Download your copy today!!!
|
|
|